20 Nov Share the Warmth Holiday Drive 2020
Popularis Construction Inc. is excited to announce our second annual Share the Warmth Holiday Drive. This drive benefits children within our own community who will be spending their holiday season in the foster care system.
What is foster care?
“Foster care is a temporary service provided by States for children who cannot live with their families [due to abuse, safety concerns or neglect]. Children in foster care may live with relatives or with unrelated foster parents. Foster care can also refer to placement settings such as group homes, residential care facilities, emergency shelters, and supervised independent living.”
While some children may be removed from their biological homes and placed into foster care for merely a few days, the reality for most children is that they will remain in care for months to years, until they are reunified with biological family members, adopted by a foster family, or age out of the system.
This year over 53,000 children are involved with the Massachusetts Department of Children and Families (DCF). The harsh reality for most of these children is that when placed into care, they often are not able to bring more than a bag of belongings with them, making the holidays an even more emotional time.
This holiday season, Popularis Construction Inc. is honored to fulfill the needs of 25 children within our community. We are currently accepting donations that will be given to the Brockton DCF office. Donations will be distributed to the specified children on our list through their social workers just in time for Christmas.
How can you get involved?
Well, we have several ways you can participate.
- Offer to sponsor a child! You will be given the gender, age, and any preference information we have about a specific child. You will be able to complete their list by shopping, gift wrapping, and dropping off your donation prior to our drive deadline. Although there are no required minimums or expectations, we do ask that you keep in mind, these may be the only items your sponsor child receives this holiday season. To learn more email our office at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shop from our Amazon wish list! It really doesn’t get easier than this. We’ve selected an array of gender/age appropriate stocking stuffers, winter hats, gloves, and gift cards that will fulfill the needs of any children who have yet to be sponsored. All you need to do is make a purchase, select Popularis Construction Inc. as the shipping address, and experience the joy that comes from making a difference.
- Make a general donation! Our list consists of boys and girls ranging in age from infant to young adult. Make a general donation of *new* winter hats, gloves, or a gift card that can be given to one of the 25 kiddos. We will wrap your donation and assign it to a child on our list who could use it. You may drop off general donations in person, or mail items to our office location.
- Share the news! Although donations are incredible, we also need help spreading the word. We take our job of fulfilling our list seriously. We work hard to make sure each child receives what they need and maybe a little bit more. There is a lot to do and if you haven’t heard, it takes a village.
Our Office Location
6 Main St. STE A Medway, MA 02053
Get In Touch
The Amazon Wish List
More Information on How to Support Your Local Foster Care Community
- Sign up to become a foster parent – Unfortunately there are more children in the system, than there are foster families to care for them. In order to be a licensed foster family, you must take an educational course, pass a background check, and have enough room in your home for another person to sleep comfortably. It may sound daunting, but being able to provide a safe and loving environment for a child in your community is an experience unrivaled. Foster parents may be young, old, single, married, own a home, renting, or living in an apartment. You may sign up to foster newborns, toddlers, adolescence or open your home exclusively to teenagers. Learn more about becoming a foster parent in the State of Massachusetts by clicking here.
- Become a court appointed special advocate (CASA) – A CASA volunteer is a trained citizen volunteer who is appointed by a juvenile court judge to advocate for an abused or neglected child’s best interests. Volunteers must visit their specified children at least once a month, provide findings and information for court records, and advocate on behalf of the child’s mental, educational, and physical needs. Become a volunteer in Worcester Country or learn more about what a CASA volunteer does by clicking here.
- Volunteer or donate to the Wonderfund – The Wonderfund is a private non-profit organization that works on behalf of children engaged with the MA Department of Children and Families. They provide comfort and dignity to children in traumatic situations and enrich childhoods that have been impacted by abuse and neglect. The Wonderfund is the organization in which Popularis Construction Inc. has connected with in order to participate in the holiday drive. Learn more about the amazing things they do and the many events they hold throughout the year by clicking here.
- Educate yourself – There are numerous podcasts, movies, or bloggers that share the reality of being a child in the foster care system or a foster family volunteer. Dive deep into learning more. Whether you are aware of it or not, there is someone in your church, school, neighborhood or place of business who has ties to the foster care system. Learn how to be an advocate, support those you know, or have a better understanding of a life you may be privileged to know nothing about.